For many years, people have been finding sea glass on beaches around the world. It is colorful and smooth and often has a look that appears it is frosted. This comes from glass that was improperly disposed of. Once it makes its way to the ocean, the waves and rocks smooth it out. The salt corrodes the glass causing a chemical reaction that makes it appear to be frosted. The glass over time becomes a natural piece of art. So while it began as a man-made product such as bottles, windows, cups, glass lanterns and other such things, the glass found its way into the sea and the ocean turned it from trash into natural art.
Is Sea Glass Jewelry Making Difficult?
There are several different methods of making this type of jewelry. A couple of ways are easy and even many who are new to making it can make nice jewelry using those methods. Then there are the more difficult methods that require tools and skills that are challenging for most newcomers.
Gold And Silver Clay – This is a method of making sea glass jewelry that is a more advanced method. Still, this is quickly becoming among the most popular types of this jewelry. The clay is made with particles of gold or silver in it. This is used as a setting for the sea glass.
The clay can be made into many different shapes and designs can be made on the shaped clay before it is set. Then a kiln is used which bakes the clay until the final result is a setting that is over 90% pure gold or silver.
Pros Of This Method Of Sea Glass Jewelry Making
- It is quickly becoming a very popular style of sea glass jewelry.
- It allows for a great deal of creative design.
- Because the setting uses real gold or silver, it makes the piece more valuable.
Cons Of Using This Method
- The metal clay shrinks during the baking process which mean’s those who are inexperienced will have a difficult time knowing the exact size it will be when finished.
- It is a learned skill that takes time and practice to master.
- It requires more tools than other methods of making this kind of jewelry.
Sea Glass Jewelry Made With Wire Wrap
This is the easiest method of making jewelry from sea glass. Any shape or size can be wrapped with wire that gives each piece an interesting look. For beginners, simple designs are easy and still look great. For more experienced jewelry makers, the designs can be very intricate.
Pros Of This Method
- Not many tools are needed to make this jewelry.
- Because no holes or other cuts are made to the glass, it retains its greatest value.
- Many of the pieces are irregularly shaped. Using wire wrap conforms to any shape easily.
There really is only one con. If the maker is not careful the sea glass can fit loosely in the wire wrap which might allow the wearer to lose the glass or have it damaged when it fall to the ground.
This type of jewelry making is great for hobbyist and those wanting a small business. A hobbyist will love wearing their creations. Those wanting to sell the jewelry will find they can do so easily online, or even at flea markets and yard sales.